OPS Physician Assistant - Psychiatry
Company: Florida Gulf Coast University
Location: Fort Myers
Posted on: January 27, 2023
OPS Physician AssistantJob Summary
The OPS Physician Assistant (PA) provides psychiatry services to
eligible students, including psychiatric evaluations and follow-up
psychiatry appointments, within protocols established mutually with
licensed medical professionals. Provides consultation,
collaboration, and training to clinical staff. Works as an integral
member of the interdisciplinary treatment team. Documents patient
care in an electronic health record, maintains confidentiality of
patient's personal health information, and provides care within the
state of Florida scope of practice
Essential Job Duties:
* Provides general psychiatric care for students with emotional,
social or academic problems.
* Performs individual examinations and counseling to evaluate
degree of disturbance and makes recommendations as to appropriate
* Prescribes and monitors psychotropic medications and any changes
in treatment in follow-up care of students as needed.
* Advises student patients of potential benefits and side effects
of medication. Provides instruction on drug administration and
actions to take in the event of side effects. Orders lab tests and
follows-up as appropriate.
* Works with clinical staff to arrange psychiatric or emergency
hospitalizations as needed. Arranges for the transfer of student
records to and from other service providers.
* Helps secure treatment for students requiring services beyond
those provided on campus. Builds relationships with community
hospital psychiatrists to facilitate hospitalizations and
appropriate transfers of care.
* Provides consultation, collaboration, and training to the
* Works collaboratively and cooperatively with other mental health
professionals within Counseling & Psychological Services, as well
as primary care physicians at Student Health Services.
* Prepares comprehensive records on patient evaluations, treatment
* Provides care that safeguards students' dignity and respects
their cultural, psychosocial, and spiritual values.
Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Additional Job Description
* Certification as a PA in accordance with Chapter 458, Florida
* Promote a common purpose consistent with stated University goals
and demonstrate a commitment to students and the learning
* Master's degree from an accredited institution
* Two years of experience in a primary health care setting
* Experience with electronic health record
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* Possess the knowledge of general written standards and procedures
utilized, and have the ability to read, interpret, and follow
procedural and policy manual related to the job tasks.
* Demonstrate the ability to respond to supervision, guidance and
direction in a positive, receptive manner and in accordance with
* Provide quality customer service by creating a welcoming and
* Present a professional image in word, action and attire.
* Demonstrate professionalism in dealing with a diverse population
while understanding and respecting each other's view of the world,
personalities and working styles.
* Apply effective techniques to create working relationships with
others to achieve common goals; successfully communicates and
collaborates with others to achieve goals.
* Demonstrate skills necessary to look at situations and processes
critically to make recommendations for improvement.
Keywords: Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers , OPS Physician Assistant - Psychiatry, Healthcare , Fort Myers, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!