Planner - Community Development
Company: Lee County, Florida
Location: Fort Myers
Posted on: May 3, 2021
This is an entry level position in the Planning Section of the
Department of Community
Development. The position will be responsible for: conducting
review of comprehensive plan amendments and rezoning applications;
creating maps and reports; conducting research of various topics;
and communicating issues such as land use planning, housing, and
economic development in verbal and written forms.
The ideal candidate will have strong analytical, communication,
customer service, and time management skills and knowledge of
comprehensive planning requirements within the State of Florida.
Work is evaluated under the general direction of the supervisor who
reviews progress for attainment of established goals and
At Lee County Government, we look to hire talented and
innovative individuals who share our passion and want to make a
lasting impact within our community. That's why we offer our
employees a premier place to work by providing competitive
compensation, comprehensive benefits, as well being a participant
in a robust State of Florida pension and investment retirement
Additionally, we strongly believe in cultivating long-lasting
relationships with our employees through promotional opportunities
and career ladders across our organization. At Lee County
Government, we do this by supporting your career development and
growth through mentoring programs, and on-the-job training to help
you achieve your goals. Every day at Lee County Government, you
will have the opportunity to learn, grow, and make a difference
within our own community.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs analysis of comprehensive plan amendments and rezoning
- Evaluates data source validity and understands data limitations
when compiling and analyzing data.
- Provides technical assistance to staff and the public.
- Performs routine office tasks, including data entry and file
- Researches and compiles information on a variety of planning
issues from multiple sources.
- Prepares written reports, graphics, maps, charts, tables and
- Attends and presents at public meetings, assisting other
planning staff as appropriate.
Education, Experience, Licensing
- Requires any combination of education and/or experience
equivalent to an Associate's Degree in Planning, Geography or
related degree and two years of technical planning, engineering,
development review or closely related experience.
- Graduation from a four-year college or university with a
Bachelor's degree in Planning, Geography or related degree and one
year of technical planning, engineering, development review or
closely related experience is preferred.
- Possession of a valid driver's license with an acceptable
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Knowledge of basic land use, environmental, housing and/or
transportation planning principles and practices.
- Ability to independently conduct statistical and analytical
analysis and use to identify practical solutions to vaguely
defined, complex planning issues.
- Proficient use of computer software (including Word, Excel,
Access and GIS) with attention to detail regarding format and
- Strong writing and public speaking skills; ability to
effectively present planning information to a variety of
- Ability to manage several projects/issues simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to research, interpret, and apply local, state and
- Candidates who reach the interview stage may be required to
provide a writing sample for this position.
- The work days and hours for this position are Monday through
Friday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
DISCLAIMER: The above information on this description has been
designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed
by employees within this classification. It is not designed to
contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all
duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees
assigned to this classification. All positions are subject to a
criminal background check. A conviction in and of itself may not
necessarily preclude employment.
Keywords: Lee County, Florida, Fort Myers , Planner - Community Development, Other , Fort Myers, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!