Company: City of Fort Myers, FL
Location: Fort Myers
Posted on: June 8, 2021
The City of Fort Myers strives to be an employer of choice and
most of our employees turn jobs into long term careers. The salary
shown in the job description is the full range for this position
from entry to later career.
NEW EMPLOYEES ARE HIRED AT, OR NEAR THE ENTRY POINT SHOWN,
DEPENDING ON QUALIFICATIONS AND RELEVANT EXPERIENCE.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Safety Sensitive: YES Level II
Under the general direction of the designated supervisor, the
incumbent is responsible for the on-site supervision of the public
engaged in water activities to ensure their safety, prevent
accidents and provide assistance to swimmers. Providing customer
service information relating programs/memberships Patrols pool area
to maintain order and to protect swimmers from accident or
drowning; rescues swimmers in distress; administers necessary first
aid treatment. Performs pool maintenance, cleaning the facility;
accounts for monies received. This job has no supervisory
Responsibilities and Reporting During an Emergency
Essential Employees may be required to work during a declared
emergency. Depending on the nature of the emergency, this may
require working around the clock for several days on short
Non Essential Employees will not be required to work during a
declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine
when the employee will be required to work.
THIS IS A SEASONAL POSITION - 40 hrs/week for 10 weeks
- Cautions swimmers regarding unsafe areas and/or
- Rescue swimmers in danger of drowning and administers first aid
with emphasis on resuscitation methods.
- Maintain order in swimming areas.
- Inspect facilities for cleanliness and inform supervisor(s) of
any safety hazards.
- Responsible for attending in-service training.
- Teach/Assist with swimming lessons.
- Determine chlorine content and pH value of water, including
any/all pool water chemistry, with water testing kit.
- Collect fees for classes/programs.
- Responsible for maintaining required certifications and
ensuring they are kept current.
- This position requires regular and reliable attendance and the
employee's physical presence at the workplace
- Performs additional duties as required including but not
limited to cleaning swimming pool and facilities.
Due to pool closures and the availability of work, employees may
be assigned to work in lower classifications performing tasks
within other areas of Recreation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Able to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
- Skill to make sound judgment.
- Ability to lift and rescue swimmers who are in need of
- Ability to work in heat, humidity, wetness, and around noise,
fumes and odors
When Assigned to S.T.A.R.S:
- Successful completion of Department of Children and Families
(DCF) child care competency training Part I required within ninety
(90) days of hire or promotion; remaining Parts within one (1) year
of hire or promotion; and annual in-service.
- High School diploma or GED preferred; or
- Experience as a Lifeguard, preferred
This work typically requires the following physical activities
to be performed.
- Balancing - maintain equilibrium to prevent falling while
walking, standing, or crouching.
- Climbing - ascending, descending ladders, stairs, ramps,
requires body agility.
- Crawling - moving about on hands, knees, or hands, feet.
- Crouching - bending body forward by bending leg, spine.
- Feeling - perceiving attributes of objects by touch with skin,
- Fingering - picking, pinching, typing, working with fingers
rather than hand.
- Grasping - applying pressure to object with fingers, palm.
- Pushing - use upper extremities to press against objects with
force, or thrust forward, downward, outward.
- Reaching - extending hands or arms in any direction.
- Repetitive Motion - substantial movements of wrists, hands,
- Speaking - expressing ideas with spoken word, convey detailed,
important instructions accurately, concisely.
- Standing - for sustained periods of time.
- Stooping - bending body downward, forward at waist, with full
motion of lower extremities and back.
- Talking 1- expressing ideas by spoken word
- Handling - picking, holding, or working with whole hand.
- Hearing 1 - perceiving sounds at normal speaking levels,
- Hearing 2 - receive detailed information, make discrimination
- Kneeling - bending legs at knee to come to rest at knees.
- Lifting - raising objects from lower to higher position, moving
objects side to side, using upper extremities, back.
- Mental Acuity - ability to make rational decisions through
sound logic, deductive reasoning.
- Pulling - use upper extremities to exert force, haul or
- Talking 2 - shouting to be heard above ambient noise.
- Visual Acuity 2 - color, depth perception, field of
- Visual Acuity 3 - determine accuracy, neatness, observe
- Walking - on foot to accomplish tasks, long distances, or site
Work performed is primarily:
- Heavy work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally,
and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds
of force constantly to move objects
- Frequently have exposure to adverse environmental conditions
such as extreme temperatures, wetness, humidity, toxic or caustic
chemicals, noise, dust, wind, and sun.
- Contact with internal and external customers, vendors, outside
agencies and the general public.
- May be required to work hours other than the regular schedule
including nights, weekends, and holidays.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the primary job functions described herein. Since every
duty associated with this position may not be described herein,
employees may be required to perform duties not specifically
spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably
considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just
as though they were actually written out in this job
Keywords: City of Fort Myers, FL, Fort Myers , Seasonal-Lifeguard, Other , Fort Myers, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!