Plant Breeding Technician
Company: Sakata Seed America, Inc
Location: Fort Myers
Posted on: September 13, 2018
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for performing and/or coordinating diverse tasks such as sowing, transplanting, crop maintenance, sanitation, pollination, harvesting, evaluation, record keeping, and seed extraction for Sweet Pepper breeding programs. Most activities will be performed at the Florida Research Station at Fort Myers and be conducted in accordance with specific directions and protocols.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Review and follow the protocols set and approved by the program leader, according to company polices.
- Assists in maintaining greenhouse plants for Sweet Pepper breeding projects. Duties include sowing, thinning, weeding, sanitation, crop maintenance, pollination, and seed extraction.
- Check on the seedlings in the transplant house, and make sure they are growing according to industry specifications.
- Check on the greenhouses' irrigation and cooling systems, and learn how to trouble-shoot the frequent malfunctions and problems.
- Keep track, and place orders of the field, and greenhouse supplies, and make sure they are available when needed.
- Actively participates in the planning, design, execution, maintenance, evaluation, harvest, and seed extraction on sweet pepper field trials.
- Assists pathology staff on diverse tasks relating to sweet pepper disease screens. Scout the plants in the field, and/or greenhouses, for pests, and diseases, and report findings to the supervisor, and field manager.
- Coordinate with the field manager and/or his assistant, regarding chemical applications in the field, and/or greenhouses.
- Assists sweet pepper breeding staffs on seed inventory management, organization and record keeping. Check on the seed-room daily, to make sure everything is working fine, and report any malfunctions to the direct supervisor, and the station manager.
- Performs and/or supervises labor crews with trial clean-up and with the maintenance and storage of trials materials and equipment.
- Assists with trial record keeping, data entry, and analysis.
- Oversees and directs day laborers as needed and checks their work quality. Follow and make sure that the contract crews are following all company safety procedures.
- Assists in coordinating and evaluating off-station trials.
- Coordinates with other station personnel to perform weekend greenhouse check-up in a rotational basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of basic horticulture, biology and/or microbiology.
- Strong desire to learn and improve horticultural knowledge relating to vegetable breeding and plant pathology.
- Ability to perform tasks in accordance with specific, detailed instructions and protocols.
- Good communication skills and ability to work well and coordinate activities with co-workers.
- Must have excellent manual dexterity, spatial perception, and visual discrimination.
- Computer experience with Microsoft Office software desired.
- Bachelor's degree in horticulture and/or related field/agricultural experience desirable.
- Agricultural background highly desirable.
- Must be able to work under different weather conditions such as extremes of temperature, humidity, and rain.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must maintain good working attitude under above conditions.
- Must maintain accuracy and efficiency while performing tedious tasks.
- Must be willing and able to wear personal protective gear when required and/or necessary.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds on a regular basis.
- Must be able to work with chemicals and other irritating substances using all required PPE.
Keywords: Sakata Seed America, Inc, Fort Myers , Plant Breeding Technician, Professions , Fort Myers, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!